Vacation Plans Cancelled? Now What?
The dream vacation that you've been planning for the past 6 months suddenly was cancelled in a few short emails. You're probably feeling frustrated and disappointed, but not to worry! Here are some creative ideas to hold you over until you've rescheduled your trip.
1) Create a Vacation Destination Theme Night at your place - Were your travel plans set for going to Italy? Don't despair, bring Italy to you! Look up a new Italian recipe you've been dying to try and whip up a new dish for you and your travel partner. Pick out a nice wine that pairs with the dish. Stream some Italian music and learn an Italian phrase to share. Pick out a fun movie about Italy to watch afterwards such as "Under the Tuscan Sun." To really jazz up the night, learn an Italian folk dance and teach it to your friends.
2) Become a Food Critic in your own town - Who said you have to travel far away to enjoy an excellent meal? You don't, you can do it right in your own neighborhood! Pick a friend or two join you, or dine a'la carte with just yourself, and explore the restaurants around you. Choose one or two dishes that you truly enjoy, and order the same dish at each restaurant. Jot down your notes on the atmosphere of the restaurant, the friendliness of the staff, and the dish itself. How did it appear on your plate? How did it taste? Was there something unique about the flavors or presentation? If you're feeling extra ambitious, you can post your reviews on social media or write a letter to the editor!
3) Attend a Murder Mystery Weekend - These fun weekend events are popping up all over the place and one might be coming to a town near you. The festivities begin Friday night and carry on until Sunday morning! Perhaps you are looking for more than just a "who dunnit" weekend? Consider attending a weekend hosted by Sitka Events that uses Escape Room concepts to discover clues in figuring out the murderer. The weekend event includes a cocktail costume party, a treasure hunt, and of course, a murder.
4) Plan for an At-Home Spa Day - Get out that comfy robe and a pair of slippers because this day is designed for you! Scent your home with essential oils such as peppermint or eucalyptus, and get ready for a day of pampering. Turn up the thermostat and put some nice bath salts in the tub as you run a hot bath. Remember the mud mask and cucumbers for your eyes. Oh yes, and of course you can add a glass of wine if you like! Get the pedi tub out of the back of the closet and plug in your paraffin wax warmer for silky soft hands. Finally, pick out some new nail polish and let it dry as you are streaming nature sounds on the stereo.
5) Camp out in your own Backyard - Who says you have leave the comforts of home to go camping? Get that tent out from the back of the garage and set it up right in your own backyard. Roast some hotdogs and make s'mores, just like when you were a kid. Lean back in your camp chairs to gaze up at the night sky and pick out constellations. If you're not familiar with the names of them, consider using the app "StarView Lite" which allows you to point your phone at the sky and it will tell you the names.